What do we want our boys to know? What is our responsibility to teach them when they are grown? I’ve always believed that as a father it’s my job to:
- Teach my sons how to respect women. That starts with how they treat their mother.
- Expect them to take responsibility and accountability for their actions. The rest of the world will expect that. They should learn it now.
- The value of hard work and effort. That does NOT include getting an all time high score on Halo 3.
- Have compassion. I want them to understand that they have a responsibility to be kind to others.
- Appreciate what they have, not long for what they don’t. Perspective is hard to teach a child under the age of 18, but the sooner the better.
I know there’s more but what do you as a parent want your child(ren) to learn from you?
I thought this was a pretty good list as well. I’d love to hear yours.